Simple questions and flowers in bloom


Sometimes the smallest things - like a stranger asking your name - can mean so much when you're a new resident in a foreign land. Each week I walk to our local morning market where I stock up on fruit and vegetables - and then treat myself to a bunch of fresh flowers. I buy the blooms off a lady with long hair and a missing tooth. Usually our interaction involves me picking up a bunch and handing her cash. Today, however, as she tucked my beautiful pink lotus flowers into a plastic bag, she spoke to me in Thai...asking my name. 

It was such a simple gesture but after weeks of feeling invisible here in Bangkok - this little question brought me an unexpected moment of joy. It was followed by a brief (due to my terrible language skills) conversation in which I asked her name (it's P'Auboon) and told her that her flowers made me happy.

Comments

Popular Posts